rocephin injections vs IV
corie makila
2012-04-27 16:30:51 UTC
does anyone know if theres a difference between the IV rocephn and the
injectable rocephin? I want to do injectables cuz i got kids and dont
want a picc.. anyways, any my theory would be that if you inject it
into the muscle it will have better absorbtion thru the whole body.. i
could be totally wrong though. any thouhts would be wonderful. thanks
so much!
Lipanj
2012-05-03 04:12:21 UTC
Post by corie makila
does anyone know if theres a difference between the IV rocephn and the
injectable rocephin? I want to do injectables cuz i got kids and dont
want a picc.. anyways, any my theory would be that if you inject it
into the muscle it will have better absorbtion thru the whole body.. i
could be totally wrong though. any thouhts would be wonderful. thanks
so much! YOU ARE NOT TOTALLY WRONG----altho there is a difference but the IM gets direct in bloodstream also. But IV is much more potent.
I have had IM injections of rocephin..I suggested it myself. 1 gram --
I did have a bad allergic reaction after a few...sometimes I really
wonder about the nurse who does it. One nurse no problem....anyway I
had to go to ER for allergic reaction.
I cut the dosage down to 250mgs of IM...I was getting a lot better ,
really....then had auto accident and wound up in hospital with broken
leg....my dr. thought that would be a good chance of giving IV...he
forgot I was allergic to high dose.A dumb mistake.....hooked up bag
and wow...Some people are allergic to IV rocephrin but then they get
cefotaxime....anyway I can say the IM really helped..now he won't even
let me have any cefalosporin pills....I am not allergic to penicillin.
If you get the IM rocephin start with lower dose.

I don't blame you for not wanting the pic line etc.....I got the
rocephin from Canada Phyizer co. Try low dose first IM. Secondary
is bicillin IM benzathine penicillin &penicillin G. Altho bicillin
LA they say is better longer acting- it is thicker tho and has to be
injected very slow......If you have any other questions -ask.